Broken limbs from ice storms and long-term damage from last summer’s heat are just two obstacles for our landscapes to overcome this year. Let‘s get the recovery started!
1. To prune or replace? The winter storm damage has brought this question to many minds in Little Rock. Take a look at our previous blog post for detailed pruning instructions and images plus guidance on whether to prune or replace based on specific damage examples. It can be difficult to re-establish screens and hedges with a mix of new and old materials, depending on maturity. Bring by or email us images of you landscape for specific advice!
2. As plants break dormancy, it‘s a great time to apply systemic insect control such as Bonide Tree & Shrub Insect Control, especially on plants that experience insect infestations last year. This solution controls a wide variety of insects, is easy to apply by watering into the plants’ root zone, and lasts for 12 months. This product works well for lacebugs on azaleas, whiteflies on gardenias, and aphids on crape myrtles, just to name a few. Insect eggs can overwinter on debris under plants so a good clean up will help reduce issues also.
3. We are very excited about a new product from Bonide called Sedge Ender, a pre and post emerge weed control for both cool and warm season grassy and broadleaf weeds! Yes, nutsedge, clover, and wild onions will be a thing of the past! Bottom line, you need a bottle of this in your garage if you or your neighbor have lawn weeds!
4. Speaking of Bonide, check out the new Bonide Solution Center at The Good Earth! It‘s an easy to use computer that guides you to the best solution for weed, disease or insect issues by searching for pest by name or image.
5. Fertilizing your shrubs is especially important this year due to the storm damage and last summer’s extreme temperatures. As plants break dormancy and push out new growth, apply Osmocote and Root Stimulator.
6. Warm and cool season weeds germinate at various temperatures, year round; a good rule of thumb is to apply pre-emerge every 60-90 days. Bonide Weedbeater Complete is a good pre and post-emergent.
7. It’s time to start thinking about summer color, vegetable gardens and herbs! Remember, the pansies look good now but when the heat hits, they melt away!
8. And perhaps most importantly, shop the garden center to investigate new possibilities and get ideas! It’s a fun time of year to be outside so what are you waiting for?