BIG Update on our Journey with Ugandan Non-Profit SASCU!
Many of you have directly donated goods, funds or prayed for SASCU in the past; we are so grateful to you! And if you have made any purchase at The Good Earth in the past, you are a part of this journey. If you have shared one of our social media posts or recommended us to a friend or family member, you are a part of this journey. The prayers and local community support are felt daily.
Simply put, your support of our small business has direct impact on our ability to support both our local community and Ugandan children in need. We don’t take you choosing The Good Earth lightly; it means the world to us.
A Little History
In 2010, a relationship between The Good Earth Garden Center, and SASCU (Save Street Children Uganda), a Ugandan school, orphanage and more recently farm, began. Since the beginning, we have carried handmade Ugandan jewelry in our Gift Shop, with 100% of proceeds going directly back to SASCU. The director and founder of SASCU has visited us here several times, and in the past several years, members of our team have gone there to help develop a more sustainable future for SASCU. There have been many great developments since then; if you are unfamiliar with this journey, we invite you to read more here.
Our 2019 Goals
- Fill a 40 foot shipping container with goods to help reach the below goals
- Build and furnish a boys’ dorm at the farm
- Build a kitchen at the farm
- Build a latrine at the farm
- Move orphans from inner city to Providence Farm
- Expand goat production
How Do We Reach These Goals?
We reach these goals by working together! A 40 foot shipping container is arriving here at The Good Earth sometime in March (specific date TBA very soon). We will have one week to fill it with items needed to accomplish these 2019 goals. Once the container arrives, donations of new or gently used items from the list below will be greatly appreciated:
- Twin sheets, pillow cases, blankets, pillows
- Bath towels
- Feminine napkins, new panties, new underwear, bras
- Clothes for boys and girls- for kids and teens ages 5 to 18 all sizes (no winter clothes please)
- Shoes- any black shoes for school, sneakers, (any color), sandals, cleats. We would love to collect 2,000 pairs of shoes, which would be worn by orphans, school children and villagers.
- School supplies- ruled paper, notebooks, glue, markers, pencils, backpacks, stickers
- Storybooks (K-6th)
- NIV bibles
- Soccer balls, playground equipment
- Sidewalk Chalk
- Bicycles- mountain bike style, wider tires
- Pots, pans, dishes, cups, utensils (non-electric)
- Furniture- kitchen table and chairs, couches, dressers, small tables
- Area Rugs, long curtains
- New tires sizes 215/75/R15 and 195/65/R15
- Motorcycle (for travel to nearby town)- 125/ 150
- ATV for farm work
- Push mowers
- Weedeaters- gas only
- Metal T posts- 8 or 10 ft
- Outdoor solar flood lights
- Tarps- 8 ft x 8 ft, 10 ft x 10 ft, 12 ft x 10 ft
- Duct tape
March 14, 2019 Update
If you want to donate but aren’t sure what might still be needed, here is an updated list: Bibles, post hole diggers, shovels, wheelbarrow, kitchen table, chairs, bookshelves, new tires, tarps, tetherball set, feminine napkins, school supplies (ruled notebook paper, spiral notebooks, pencils and backpacks), bed pillows (new), sidewalk chalk
Our goal is to completely fill the container and maximize the impact of this opportunity! And we can do it with your help. Have questions? Please contact us!
Funding is always helpful as well. Here is a link directly to our donation page. SASCU is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which means all donations are tax deductible. Here are some direct sponsorship opportunities:
- Each pregnant goat is $75
- Fencing for goats
- T posts (approximately $12.50 each, need 200 of the 10 ft posts)
- Welded Wire (approximately $140 per roll, need 20 rolls of the 6 ft by 100 ft size)
There are other sponsorship opportunities as well; here is a link to additional needs. Thank you for taking the time to read about this wonderful non-profit and the amazing impact SASCU and YOU are having in the lives of Ugandan children!